I have unsubscribed from Epicurious emails numerous times, but I’m still getting them, I think. Apparently it takes time, or apparently their unsubscribe button is broken. Anyway, interesting things still pop up, so I’ll forgive them, for now.
In this week’s email, a list of items (top 11) one should have in the freezer. Let’s do a side by side comparison, with some commentary.
- Chicken Thighs — yes, I have these! I buy them in those large packages that sometimes have nasty chicken juice seeping through the plastic wrapping. Then I separate them into Ziplock bags for easy defrosting. Now, to remember that I need to defrost is another thing…
- Alternative flours — what? No. What do people use alternative flours for? Is this because I’m Asian that I don’t know what this is all about?
- Broth/stock — nope. Sometimes I use stock, and the rest goes back in the fridge. Guess what happens to that stock usually? Into the trashcan… Maybe next time I can pour it out and freeze it! This could be useful.
- Fruit — yes, we like smoothies, so we do have a bag of frozen Trader Joe’s mixed berries as well as other fruits that were too ripe to be eaten fresh.
- Breadcrumbs — Another what? No. I do have a bag of Panko on top of my fridge, but that’s it. Not sure if those can freeze…
- Frozen peas — No. Wow, what a random veggie. I actually like peas, so this is not a bad idea.
- Stock up on scraps — No. Could start doing this.
- A bag of frozen shrimp — No. Allergic to shrimp.
- Pizza dough — No. But this might not be so bad if it freezes well.
- Crumble topping — Whoever wrote this list likes breadcrumbs and crumble toppings in their freezer! Apparently this is good for dessert. Ya, no, don’t have.
- Parmesan rinds — No. Parmesan whats? The only parmesan we have is the kind you shake out onto your pizza from a green container.
Now, here’s what we actually always have in our freezer:
- Meats of various kinds — Chicken my mom gave me, fish, other meats I found on sale, things I don’t know how to cook yet.
- Dumplings — Emergency food. What else to say. A large bag of them.
- Things that were on the verge of going bad — Emergency preservation.
- Ice cream — Hello??
- Ice cubes — Ya they take up space so they get to be listed. This is Southern California, y’all, and we don’t have any heating in our triplex.
- Baozhi from Grandma that will last for months — Sorry Grandma.